York Stone & Portland Stone - News & Latest Offers
* Bullnose Yorkstone & Portland Stone step treads in various lengths in stock. Please call for details: 020 8673 8785
* For natural stone steps in London why not make the most of our free on-site estimating service?
* If you like to see the quality of our stone and workmanship have a look at our interactive maps:
Six Reasons To Choose English City Stone
1. We take care of your job from start to finish. Our in-house teams fit the stone and install all associated metalwork.
3. We are London's most experienced fitters of stone steps, working for the trade and the public.
4. Our unique and revolutionary waterproofing system will leave your home free from damp and water damage.
5. If you live in London we'll give you a fitting quote completely free of charge. Contact us for details.
Above: sawn and bullnosed Yorkstone steps will
transform the entrance to your property
What Is Yorkstone?
Yorkstone is a term used to describe sandstone that has been quarried in Yorkshire. There is much variation between different types of sandstone, but the unifying factor amongst the varieties from Yorkshire is their durability. This is a consequence of their fine grained structure, as oppose to other varieties of sandstone such as 'gritstone'.
This carboniferous sedimentary rock contains several minerals including quartz, iron oxides and mica and has been quarried since medieval times to be used for a variety of building purposes. Yorkstone is a traditional London stone, especially for paving and steps. If you'd like to see examples of our London stone steps please take a look at our portfolio and interactive maps.
What is Portland Stone?
Portland Stone is a Jurassic period limestone quarried exclusively on the Isle of Portland in Dorset. The stone formed on the floor of a shallow, warm sub-tropical sea. It's main constituent is calcium carbonate and the calcified remains of shelled sea creatures are a pleasing feature of the stone.
It has been used as a building material throughout the British Isles, but is probably most familiar as one of the materials used to build public buildings in London such as St. Paul's Cathedral, The Cenotaph and Buckingham Palace. Portland limestone is also a traditional London stone for residential properties and has a hard wearing nature similar to Yorkstone making it suitable for use as both steps and paving. You can see examples of our London stone steps in our portfolio and on our interactive maps.
How Our Yorkstone & Portland Stone Become Steps And PavingTaking a block of stone from the ground and transforming it into an elegant flight of new stone steps or other stone product is an involved process with several distinct stages.
Have a look at The Story of Stone in our Portfolio for further details.