York Stone & Portland Stone StepsPavingMasonry
Bullnose Yorkstone & Portland Stone step treads in various lengths in stock.
If you would like to see our displays come to see us at 210 Upper Tulse Hill, London, SW2 2NS.
This carboniferous sedimentary rock...
contains several minerals including quartz, iron oxides and mica and has been quarried since medieval times to be used for a variety of building purposes. Yorkstone is a traditional London stone, especially for paving and steps. If you’d like to see examples of our London stone steps please take a look at our portfolio and interactive maps.
What is Portland Stone?
Portland Stone is a Jurassic period limestone quarried exclusively on the Isle of Portland in Dorset. The stone formed on the floor of a shallow, warm sub-tropical sea. It’s main constituent is calcium carbonate and the calcified remains of shelled sea creatures are a pleasing feature of the material.
It has been used as a building material throughout the British Isles, but is probably most familiar as one of the materials used to build public buildings in London such as St. Paul’s Cathedral, The Cenotaph and Buckingham Palace.
To Choose English City Stone
1. We take care of your job from start to finish. Our in-house teams fit the stone and install all associated metalwork.
2. We are nationwide suppliers of highest quality Portland Limestone and fine grained hard York Stone. We don’t use pre-cast or imported materials.
3. We are London’s most experienced fitters of stone steps, working for the trade and the public.
4. Our unique and revolutionary waterproofing system will leave your home free from damp and water damage.
5. If you live in London we’ll give you a fitting quote completely free of charge. Contact us for details.
6. We’re happy to show you the quality of our work and our materials, have a look at our portfolio and interactive maps.
7. You can visit our showroom in South London to inspect the material.